I talk to lots of people. As a coach, I get hit up at parties like a doctor for free insight, I coach my seat mates on airplanes, and friends and colleagues call me regularly to walk through decisions or tough situations. It's part of the joy of my job.
I tell you this, << Test First Name >>, because I hope it lends credibility to what I'm about to say next. Here we go...
One of the #1 things people tell me is that they lack clarity. This is what being unclear sounds like:
- "I have a big decision to make and don't know what to do."
- Should I settle down or travel for a while?
- Do I stay in a job that is making me miserable because of my 401K?
- Do I take that promotion even if it means an upset to my work/life balance?
- What's my next step in my career?
- Do I tell my boss what I really want even if I'm not sure what will happen?
A lack of clarity is like looking at the future through fog.
- It's frustrating;
- you can't see the path;
- it invites over-thinking,
- and for many of you, a lack of clarity sticks you in analysis paralysis which makes it impossible to make decisions or move forward.
- It's exhausting.
The good news: there is usually something else going on that you can resolve is (relatively) easily.
You don't lack clarity. Most people are crystal clear about what they want even if they don't see it themselves. (Doesn't that make you feel instantly better - or maybe still foggy?)
What you lack is permission. You know what you want and fear of making a change is keeping you "unclear." What you crave is courage, choice, and a plan to move forward with full permission.
Here's a little exercise:
Choose a place in your life where you feel unclear. Describe it to a friend and ask them to tell you what is obviously clear to them. Then jot down what you would do if you had full permission. Then take the first step on the full permission path!
Insto-clarity and forward movement!
I hope this helps!
With Rebel Love!
P.S. If you crave clarity and permission and want a sounding board who is an expert at seeing what you can't, let's talk. You can schedule a free Ideas and Insights session here. We'll chat, and I'll share my…well...ideas and insights with you. Can't wait to connect live!