I've struggled with what to write this week. The news has been like drinking from a political firehose. It's hard to keep up.
I wanted to find a brilliant answer for you. A salve that would solve the pain in the world. I haven't found the shiny solution yet. If you spot it, will you let me know?
That said, I have uncovered some truths about Corporate Rebels that I'd like to share. My hope is that they give you hope.
- Corporate Rebels understand that uncertainty is the only certainty. If you don't know where to put your attention or what to do in the current climate, you are not alone. You don't have to know your final destination in order to take action. (Just like your career.)
- Corporate Rebels know that change is inevitable, and hard. We are in the midst of significant change. If you have lived through an acquisition, a divorce, or a relocation, you know that change is disruptive and anxiety-producing, even if it's change you wanted.
- Corporate Rebels are complex thinkers. You see beyond either/or and us/them. You can hold complexity, even things you disagree with, in service of a larger vision. It is going to take creativity and innovation to navigate the divisiveness and pain. We need unique voices right now. Like yours.
- Corporate Rebels know that how you show up is as important as what you do. Staying silent on important issues at work keeps people unhappy in their jobs. With everything that's going on in the world, it's important not to sit quietly on the sidelines. Some people will march (see the peace dove my children, husband, and I marched under in St. Paul), some write letters, others reach out with compassion to their Muslim neighbors, some pray. Do what you do best. Write. Bake. Reach out. Show up at work with kindness and love. You have tremendous power to make a difference with your gifts from where you are right now.
- Corporate Rebels know that self care if crucial. In order to be involved in your community, to do your job well, to show up for your family, and to navigate the work that needs to be done, you have to take care of yourself. Maintaining your inner peace and health will ensure peace and health in your outer world, too.
As has been said many times, we're in uncharted waters. It would be lovely if there was a simple solution and a best action. There isn't. And, you have tremendous power to be what you wish to see in the world. Go be that.
With deep respect and love,